DIY Laundry Detergent Concentrate- $3.25 for 64 Loads

All-Natural 3-ingredient Laundry Detergent

   I enjoy making my own cleaners but anything that takes more than 15 mins... forget it, it's just too involved for me. So be confident that any recipe or project I share is pretty quick and easy.
   I switched all of my in-home cleaning products to ones that claim "free and clear" on them, with the hope that it was toxic-free. Well after a finding a huge database, called the Environmental Working Group I found that choosing a truly toxin-free products aren't as easy as trusting a label... I know, shocking right? Laundry detergents are pretty pricey too. One leading brand is $13 for 64 loads but you can make your own for about $3.25 per batch that also makes 64 loads. Doing this cuts down on plastic usage, is toxin free and takes about 5-10 minutes to make (depending on what distractions you may have).


Trials and Errors

I've been making my own laundry detergent for about 2 years now. I've used several recipes starting out with dry detergents which are quick and easy until I found that I didn't like how stuck-together it gets toward the ends of its usage. Then a friend of mine wrote a blog using this recipe which I love here (it's borax-free) and I was shocked at how easy and quick it can be to make liquid detergent. I tweaked it to include borax and used her method for a long time until recently I realized that so much of homemade detergent is just water. So I've been experimenting and have created my own laundry concentrate gel.



Notes on Natural Homemade Liquid Detergents 

Gel-Like Consistency
- Consistency: Homemade detergents tend to separate or congeal a bit funny as time goes by, I got irritated by the need to mix and shake after each use, which is another reason I concentrated this recipe. This version is like a very hard gel. -see image on the right-

- Stains: Natural detergents like this one are great at getting laundry clean and smelling fresh, even cloth diapers ('nuff said) but they're not necessarily powerful stain removers. I've found that following Mama Natural's post Here is extremely helpful! I've gotten out so many stains (pre-wash) using her suggestions. Also, Oxi-Clean is a pretty natural stain remover and is a nice boost every once in a while for my whites and lights loads.


- Where to buy ingredients: When buying Washing Soda and Borax its most cost effective to get them at the grocery store in the laundry isle. They are around $4 each but if purchasing online the price is much higher. I like to buy the off-brand Castile soap to save money, because I'm not directly smelling it and putting it on my body I don't mind if it's lower quality.





Directions


Time: 10 mins or less

Ingredients
1/2 cup Borax
1/2 cup Washing soda
1 cup Liquid Castile
2 cups Water (Piping hot or recently boiled)

Directions
Ready to set overnight
In a bowl, large jar or measuring cup mix together the Borax and Washing Soda. Slowly add piping hot water and stir constantly until fully dissolved. Add liquid Castile soap and stir.
I like to store it in a 32 oz mason jar.

NOTE: Use only 1 Tbs per load, it really is concentrated, so you won't need more. Also because it is so concentrated, I recommend waiting for the water to fill your washing machine before adding the scoop to avoid color bleaching, or what I like to do, instead of waiting, is drop the scoop inside a white sock so it will agitate out ;)

That's it! You can double it too for 128 loads for $6.50 and then really cut down on the time in the kitchen.

Have a happy toxin-free laundry room!




Comments

Popular Posts