Home Detox: 5 One-Ingredient Alternatives To Use In Your Home


5 Natural Basic Alternatives 

  Did you know that Walmart stores on average offer 120,000 items? We live in an overproduced world with so much clutter. Not to mention we are faced with ads everyday compelling us to buy even more. Do we really need all of what we buy or have we just grown accustomed to the way that so many American homes are run? So many of these products we are sold have loads of toxins in them that we may fully understand. 
  Detoxing the home starts with simplification, so lets evaluate some necessities. I for you some of the most basic changes to make in your home, here are 5, one-ingredient alternatives to start using that are very budget friendly. 

1 - Buy Castile Soap

  Liquid Castile soap is very natural and versatile. It is concentrated so you can dilute it a LOT and make it go a long way. I dilute it 1 part soap 3 parts water in a foam dispenser (this ratio makes it foam really well) and use it as dish soap, hand soap, face wash, body wash, and shaving cream. I even use it in my homemade laundry detergent.

Because I use it in so many ways I like to buy it in bulk. Dr. Bronners Castile is just superior in my opinion, we have tried other brands but keep coming back to this, you can get it on Amazon but I prefer to get it cheaper for around $12 for 32 oz at a store like Kroger or Publix.

Bargain tip: Kirks Castile Soap bars are really cheap I get them from Publix for $3.25 for a pack of 3. They can feel a bit harsh, so I would recommend using them just as hand soap, it doesn't bother me though so I use them on my body too.




2 - Use Olive or Coconut Oil as a Beauty hack

Olive oil is the closest oil in composition to the oil our skin produces. Its great to use as an eye makeup remover and face moisturizer. When using it as a moisturizer you don't need much since it is straight oil. I put only three drops on the palm of my hands, rub them together and pat my face at night. Coconut oil is also great for these things too it is a bit thicker and has some lovely benefits as well.




3 - Shea Butter as a Deep Moisturizer and Hair Styling Paste 

Skin
  Olive and coconut oil are great, but I feel like they kind of sit on top of the skin instead of deeply penetrating and moisturizing it. Shea Butter is amazing for this, I love using it on my cuticles, feet and areas that just get extra dry or calloused. Its amazing for chapped lips too. The best way to use it is to put a small bit on your hands or fingers first and rub them together until it melts, then apply it. Otherwise its harder to rub in because of how thick it is.

Hair
I don't like to use this in my own hair since I have fine, oily straight hair. Its not for everyone but I've heard that its great for certain hair types like really curly hair and for people of color. My husband likes to use it to style his hair, and it keeps it in place really well.

4 - Baking Soda and Vinegar and Plain Water as House Cleaners

Baking Soda
  A great cleaner to use as an abrasive scrub is baking soda. I've found the most effective way to use it is to sprinkle it directly onto the dry surface that needs cleaning and then use a wet washcloth to scrub it in. Its great to use on bathtub grime, pots and pans, stainless steel appliances and sinks. My friend recently opened up my eyes to the fact that its great for removing crayon markings! She has a great blog post about 5 baking soda uses  here.


Vinegar
  Vinegar is acidic and is great for making things shine! Its a great deodorizer and I've found that it works very well for neutralizing urine orders, especially if you spray it on right away. It has disinfectant properties and kills mold. It may not have the most refreshing smell but it dries odorless and is way less offensive than the smell of bleach which can linger for a long time.
-Tip: If you notice baking soda leave a residue on your surfaces, do a finishing spray and wipe with vinegar to make it shine.



5 - Rubbing Alcohol Instead Of Disinfectant Wipes
  Okay so I'm not a big anti-germ person because our bodies need them to build our immune system, but there are some times that I want something strong to kill bacteria. Rubbing alcohol is great (and cheap) to use as an antibacterial. I put it in a spray bottle and apply to my cutting boards, its great for and toilet seats or doorknobs or anything that you may use a disinfectant wipe for.





Comments

Popular Posts